How Can I Tell If My Dog Has Been Poisoned?

Here, our Apple Valley vets review the symptoms and signs of poisoning in dogs and what you should do if you believe that your pup has been poisoned. 

What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?

If you believe that your dog has been poisoned, remain calm and make sure the source of the poison is well outside of your pup's reach. Then bring your dog to the vet as quickly as you can.

Call Us:  (760) 240-5228

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The following signs and symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned. 

  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Seizures
  • Inability to urinate
  • Heart problems
  • Kidney failure
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Diarrhea
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Oral irritation
  • Drooling
  • Pale gums

What substances are poisonous to dogs?

Most cases of poisoning that our Apple Valley vets see are caused by dogs getting into substances around the house that are bad for their health. Certain medications, food and other household substances can all be quite dangerous if they are ingested by a dog. 

The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Bear Valley Animal Hospital.

Medications

Medications you can acquire over-the-counter like Advil, ibuprofen, Tylenol and Aleve as well as some herbal and nutraceutical products can be quite poisonous for our canine companions. Prescription medications that benefit humans can be toxic to our dog's bodies. 

People Food

Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods, such as chocolate, onions and garlic, are perfectly safe for people but dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.

Veterinary Products

Medications like flea or tick treatments, painkillers or de-wormers you get from your vet can be quite dangerous for your dog if they aren';t correctly used or applied. 

Household Products

Household cleaning products are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Chemicals in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Insecticides and rat poison can be just as dangerous for your pup as they creatures they are intended to deal with.

Plants

Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms. 

Lawn & Garden Products

If your dog ingests a product for your lawn, they may become quite ill.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

To learn more information about what to do if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact Bear Valley Animal Hospital in Apple Valley any time.